JUDGING WINES IN CONJUCTION WITH APPROPRIATE FOOD|
Fuller Bodied Dry Red Wines
were judged with PEPPERED LOIN OF VENISON - GAME SAUCE
As presented by Celebrity Chef MICHAEL MANNERS
Click on Image to enlarge
650g Venison Loins, trimmed of any sinew and silver skin
1 Onion finely diced
1 Carrot finely diced
1 stick Celery finely diced
2 Garlic Cloves crushed
1 tsp Black Peppercorns
1 Bay Leaf
250mls Red Wine
200mls Reduced Beef Stock
1 to 2 tsp Red Currant Jelly
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Add loins and leave in the marinade for at least 3 hours.
- Remove the loins from the marinade, dry them. Set aside.
- Pour marinade into a saucepan and reduce by 2/3
- When reduced, add the 200ml of reduced beef stock and any trimmings from the loin.
- Simmer to reduce to sauce consistency. Strain.
- Add red currant jelly to taste and adjust the seasoning. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- To finish the loins:
- Coat the loins with crushed black pepper corns and sear in a pan in a little olive oil.
- Transfer to a hot oven (220 degrees) for about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and keep warm.
Note: Venison has to be served rare or it will be tough and dry.
- Slice Venison and divide amongst the 4 plates.
- Spoon sauce over the venison.
- Serve with roasted Baby Beetroots and baby new potatoes
Click to review previous Chefs’ food recipes for this Category of Wines.
Printer friendly version.View the Fuller Bodied Dry Red Wines list.