JUDGING WINES IN CONJUCTION WITH APPROPRIATE FOOD|
Lighter Bodied Dry White Wines
were judged with SCALLOP QUENELLES WITH BUTTER SAUCE
As presented by Celebrity Chef MICHAEL MANNERS
Click on Image to enlarge
1 Egg White
Salt & Pepper to taste
200mls Thick Cream (approx.)
For Butter Sauce
125g Softened Butter
3 tsp White Wine Vinegar
3 tsp Water
Salt & Pepper
METHOD To make the Quenelles
To make the Sauce: (can be made ahead of time and kept warm in a thermos)
- Make sure the Scallops are well drained.
- Place Scallops in a magimix together with some Salt, Pepper and a pinch of Garlic.
- Blend to a smooth Puree.
- Add the Egg and the Egg White. Blend some more.
- Add the Cream in a slow stream as you blend until mixture is thick.
- Place a large saucepan of salted Water on the stove and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a simmer.
- Using 2 spoons, make each quenelle into an Egg Shape.
- Transfer quenelles into the simmering Water.
- Quenelles are cooked when they float on the surface. It only takes a few minutes.
- Remove Quenelles from the simmering Water with a slotted Spoon. Drain on Paper towels briefly then serve.
- Chop the Eschalotes finely and place in a pan with the Water and White Wine Vinegar.
- Bring to the boil and reduce to almost total evaporation.
- Add the Butter little by little, whisking in to blend.
- Season and push through a fine sieve. (A trick is to incorporate a little Corn Flour into the Sauce with the Butter to prevent the Sauce Splitting)
- Adjust seasoning.
- Place 2 or 3 Quenelles on each plate.
- Add chopped Dill to the Sauce.
- Spoon the Sauce over the Quenelles and serve immediately.
- Other serving suggestions
Add a fine julienne of Cucumber which has been lightly salted to crisp up, then rinsed and drained with chopped Dill added at the last minute.
- A salted Palmier Biscuit can add texture.
- You can replace the Dill with Chervil.
- Quenelles can also be added to Fish Soup, can be a garnish for Fish Dishes or can be served on small Tart Cases as a Canapé.
Click to review previous Chefs’ food recipes for this Category of Wines.
Printer friendly version.View the Lighter Bodied Dry White Wines list.