JUDGING WINES IN CONJUCTION WITH APPROPRIATE FOOD|
Medium Bodied Dry Red Wines
were judged with RACKS OF LAMB (OR LOIN) MUSHROOM AND EGGPLANT GRATIN
As presented by Celebrity Chef MICHAEL MANNERS
Click on Image to enlarge
4 X 4 Chop Racks (Get your butcher to “French” the bones for presentation).
250mls Beef Stock
Salt and Pepper
For the Eggplant Gratin
2 large Eggplants diced
500g Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
200g Field Mushrooms (remove and dice the stalks)
˝ cup Finely chopped Parsley
1 cup sourdough breadcrumbs
Salt and Pepper
- Sprinkle salt over the eggplant. Allow about 45 minutes to drain. Rinse and dry.
- Sautee the eggplant in Olive Oil and remove.
- Add the eschalotes and the diced mushroom stalks to the pan.
- Cook a little more then add the tomatoes and allow to cook out. Adjust seasoning.
- In another pan, cook the mushrooms in a little butter with pepper, salt and garlic. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- In an oven proof dish, lay out the mushrooms, top with the eggplant and tomato mix.
- Top with the breadcrumbs and chopped parsley.
- Bake in a hot oven for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Season the lamb racks, adding thin shards of garlic under the fat and along the bone.
- Seal the racks in Olive Oil in a pan then place in the oven.
- Roast for about 15 minutes or until medium rare.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest.
- In the meantime, reduce the stock, adding the pan juices for extra flavour.
- Just before serving, whisk in the butte in the heavily reduced stock, season with salt and pepper, then add some finely chopped fresh rosemary.
- Place a stuffed mushroom on each plate.
- Arrange a lamb rack next to it.
- Spoon the reduced sauce over it and on the side.
- Serve immediately.
Click to review previous Chefs’ food recipes for this Category of Wines.
Printer friendly version.View the Medium Bodied Dry Red Wines list.